Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Talent Tuesday: Discover Interests

I love libraries. Taking my children to the library is like opening up a world of information. I know, I know - the internet is the wave of the future. But, there is nothing like a huge room with shelves and shelves of books you can see, touch, and even smell. Can a computer tickle all those senses at once? Maybe someday. For now, I still love libraries.

Discover something your child has an interest in and get him over to the library pronto. It may be trains, flowers, bugs, photography or aardvarks that float his boat. Check out books and let him learn to his heart’s content about whatever he is interested in at the moment.

I had a son who loved apes. I didn’t know why, but he just loved them. Every time we went to the library, all he wanted to do was check out ape books. I am certain after a period of time, he had read every book in that library on monkeys, apes and gorillas. I imagined in my mind that he would become the keeper of a zoo someday. He didn’t. He is in college majoring in economics. But for that short time, he knew everything a 10 year old mind could grasp about apes. Lifelong talent? No. Lifelong love of learning? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment