Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Talent Tuesday: Be Grateful


It has only been since I’ve “grown up” that I understand that cultivating a talent isn’t just learning to play a musical instrument, or being good at a sport or an art form. There are all kinds of talents that we can learn. One of my favorites to teach children is the talent of GRATITUDE. 

Two months ago I hired a friend of mine to come and clean out my craft closet. By the time the organization job was finished, my friend was convinced that I had an obsession with cards. We ended up counting over 500 cards that I had stashed away…all just so I could send someone a thoughtful note in a pinch and never be without a card should such an occasion arise. These should last me a while!

One day each month, sit down with your children and think of someone who does something nice for you and write them a thank you card. It could be a grand parent, a teacher, the mail man, the grocer - anyone who does something that makes your life better. The children can help you decide what to write. During the month you can bring up the subject and start a conversation about who you will want to thank that month. Its a great way to learn unselfishness. Also, remind them when special occasions arise and gifts have been given for birthdays or Christmas etc. to write another thank you note.

You can find cards in a package of 10 at Ross or TJ Maxx for a couple of dollars. If you’re looking for a fun craft to sit and make with your children, click the link below and enjoy sticky finger, paper cutting, making a mess, creating cards. It’s fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment